When it comes to your dinners, are you being adventurous? Try something a little out of the ordinary with this delicious hot sausage and ziti recipe. It’s the perfect meal to make for a family gathering or to sit down and eat for dinner. You can pack it up and enjoy it for lunch the next day too!
If you love a bit of spiciness in your dishes, you will love this spicy ziti recipe. Of course, spicy hot sausage is always better when it’s Uncle John’s Pride Hot Country Smoked Sausage! Read on to find out how to make this recipe. You will need a cutting board, knife, colander, pot, pan, a large bowl, and serving tongs, as well as the food written below (and of course, plates and silverware). Full of tomato flavor and a bit of spiciness, you cannot go wrong with this dish!
- 12 ounces ziti or your favorite pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper or 1 cup mixed pre-sliced bell peppers, frozen
- 1 package Uncle John’s Pride Hot Country Smoked Sausage
- 4 cloves of garlic
- One cup of diced or strained tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato or pasta sauce
- Red pepper flakes
- Basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1/8 package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup gouda or your favorite cheese, grated or shredded
- Slice your onion. Take a pan and heat on medium-low. Add olive oil. Add onions and cook for two minutes.
- Next, Add your sausage, removing casing if you prefer or slicing it. Cook with the onions and break up the hot sausage with a spoon or if using slices, until the hot sausage is cooked (no pink).
- Pour any fat from cooking into a cup. Add garlic, crushed and diced. Cook for one minute and prepare to add other ingredients.
- Now you are going to add your ingredients into the pan– everything but the pasta, cream cheese, Sriracha, and basil. Use a pinch of salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes if you are using them. Simmer them together and put your pot on the stove to boil water for the pasta. Add salt to this pot.
- Cook the sauce for about fifteen minutes. Once your pasta water is boiling you can add ziti or your favorite pasta to the water. You can really use any type of pasta for this, from spaghetti to rigatoni or bow tie pasta. It’s up to you!
- Cook the pasta until fully cooked or slightly al dente, according to your preferences. Strain with colander and add to large bowl.
- Cut 1/8th of a block (or less if you want it less creamy) of cream cheese and mix in. Add Sriracha, about half a tablespoon. Simmer for five minutes on low while you add your cheese and then pour your sauce over the pasta then mix it well to make sure it’s all coated. Serve in bowls or on a plate and enjoy! Top with basil for a garnish and you are ready to go.
Share this dish with friends and family! Spicy and creamy, this dish is always a true delight. This is a meal that you really can serve year round and it’s great in any season and weather. If tomatoes are in season, be sure to use fresh ones in this recipe– adding real tomatoes or subbing a few in can add a touch of fresh flavor that you’ll love.